Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Daily Dose of BS Oct 2


Today marks the 3rd anniversary of my life changing.  Three years ago today I got called into the operations managers’ office and my program director was in there, they said sit down.  I think in the back of my mind I knew why I was called in but didn’t want to believe it.  I was working at my former employer for 15 and half years, 15 and a half years all coming crashing down around me.  I was one of a handful of people I knew in the radio business that hadn’t been laid off.  October 2, 2009 that all changed.  It was the biggest kick in the shorts that I could have had at the time, Christmas was coming up and the 4 kids wanted i-pod touches.  It’s funny to look back at it now, I thought that my job was what defined me, I thought of what I did, was who I was.  Getting laid off was in retrospect the best thing that happened to me; it allowed me to know that radio is not the definer of Bob Schmidt.  The reality check was there, it gave me the chance to grow my personal business,  Kooler Promotions LLC and my www.LaCrosseWisconsin.com , it also gave me the chance to work on my relationships with my kids, friends, and family, it gave me the chance to spread my wings and grow as a person.  At the time I wanted to yell and cry and I did do both, but ended up in a better and a place, a place where I am appreciated and that is a much better fit for me.  For the guys that laid me off, thank you for giving me the chance to spread my wings, and for my team at the La Crosse Radio Group thank you for giving me the opportunity to grow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment