Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Daily Dose of BS Feb 15 ash trees

A few years ago we were told that the city of La Crosse was going to be taking down trees in certain neighborhoods, they even closed Losey for a day a couple years ago to do it.  That was then, back when we got a public notice of trees coming down.  Over the past week or so the city has been silently thinning the herd.  They are dropping Ash left and right, in just the past 10 or so days in the 3 blocks of my street I think I counted that the city fell 13 trees.  I talked with one of my neighbors who had 4 trees taken from his boulevard 4 trees.  The city of La Crosse is eradicating the Ash Tree from the fabric of the city.  I am guessing by end of the spring that when we drive down any La Crosse neighborhood we will notice the clear cutting of the Ash trees.  Besides the loss of the trees we will be viewing the exposed stumps of the Ash trees that have been cut down in hopes of eradicating the Emerald Ash Borer.  It saddens me to think that all these trees will soon be gone from our beautiful city, and that our lovely canopy of leaves will for a long time be missing from the city streets.  We at one time had the designation of Tree City USA, what will the new designation be? 

No comments:

Post a Comment