Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Daily Dose of BS May 29 look me in the eye


I am a big fan of looking people in the eye.  I dislike when you’re talking with someone and they don’t look at you when talking with them.  That eye contact in business and personal relationship helps to build trust, and a bond with the person you are talking with.  I think that the smart phones are killing this with the next generation, just watch as your teenager has conversation with their peers and with adults, I’ll bet that they don’t keep that eye contact do they?  According to a survey that was just released adults make eye contact between 30% and 60% of the time in an average conversation they should be making eye contact 60% to 70% of the time to create a sense of emotional connection.  Try this at work today look everyone in the eye ( but don’t stare), ask questions and listen to the answers.  If you do this you will have a better work day I bet.  I interview people every day while at work and I sure prefer the face to face interviews better than the phone ones for this reason, I know that I have the person that I am interviewing’s full attention when face to face because of that eye contact.  

No comments:

Post a Comment