Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Daily Dose of BS April 3


I talked about it the other day about how it is good to hire someone to do the jobs you don’t know how to or want to do.  This past weekend I put it to the test.  I needed some work done at the family cabin and hired Harter Trucking Inc. to move some earth.  Two of my boys came with for the trip and to watch the work being done.  I was amazed at the hard work and the skills of John, the guy who did the work.  As a man who likes to try new things I thought I can do that, and asked about driving the skid steer.  Reluctantly he allowed me to drive it after teaching the kids how to move the skid steer forward and backward.  I timed John and from load drop to going and grabbing the next load to drop, time of 1 minute 4 seconds.  When I did it total time 6 minutes and 59 seconds and my bucket wasn’t even full.  For the amount of earth moved if it was me doing the work, I would still be driving the machine and it wouldn’t be flat.  So again when it comes to getting work done by a professional, when it is a skill you are not too sure of or if it is something that you want to look good at the end, it is often cheaper and less stressful to hire a professional than to hire your buddies for beer.    

No comments:

Post a Comment