Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Daily Dose of BS October 19

I am old school when it comes to many things, including the good old fashioned handshake. I was taught by my father to have a firm handshake and that you should look people in the eye when you talk to them. I will occasionally give a high five or fist bump to a really good buddy or to one of my kids. I would never give a fist bump to a business person, or so I thought…yesterday when I stopped for lunch I ran into a prominent business man from LaCrosse and said Hello, and offered my hand…and was surprised when was greeted with a fist. I thought about this for a while, and it bugged me, so I did a little research on the good old fist bump. Lots of people credit germaphobic Howie Mandel as the originator of it; others say it was from the 70’s on the basketball court, still others say it was from the “Wonder Twins” cartoon from the 70’s. No matter where it came from, it is used by the masses, but to me still uncomfortable with it with someone not in the inner circle. Could you imagine giving the fist bump at church during the sign of peace? To me …give me the good old handshake.

No comments:

Post a Comment