Thursday, December 7, 2017

Daily Dose of BS Dec 7 Big Indian statue

The big Indian at Riverside park is stirring up controversy.  I remember the first day that I came to La Crosse and got the big tour of what there is here I got brought up to Granddad Bluff, was shown what a Chicken Q was, we visited the zoo at Myrick Park, I was schooled on that it is a bubbler here in Wisconsin and shown the Mississippi River, the La Crosse River and the Black River and where they cross the “Big Indian”.  I for a long time thought that the name of the Hiawatha state at Riverside was just called the “Big Indian”.  There have been calls in the past for the removal of the Hiawatha statue but I think at the time the city just fixed it up, spending about 35 thousand dollars to fix it up.  I do think of the “Big Indian” statue as a point of interest when people come for a visit, but at the same time, have been asked why it is there.  I think that it is time to ask that question, why is it here?  I also have the question, is there anything that can be done to the current statue to make it not offensive to the Native American People?  

No comments:

Post a Comment