Friday, June 23, 2017

Daily Dose of BS June 23 phones

Every single one of us has seen someone texting and driving, and I am guessing that many of us have also broken the 2009 law and have texted and driven.  I know I have, I try not to but I have.  Last year federal court deemed a law similar to our texting and driving law unenforceable because it implied texting only and there are so many other things to do while on your phone.  You could message, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, email, and the list goes on, and on and on.  A new bill would seek to ban smartphone usage while driving, so basically not using a device to enter, transmit or access data while driving.  That would encompass most of what people are doing while driving.  The bill would allow you to use your phone and your smartphones navigation program but that is it.  The new fines would jump from $20 up to $100, with a max of $400.  I am not sure that the fine would make much of a difference, but if the cop could confiscate the phone, then we would see more compliance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment